Friday, September 9, 2011

September 8, 2011

 

Tonight was the all-time, most inspirational night of my life. I have been struck with a revelation so profound, that I am not even sure how to make sense of it. Adam Braun, a Semester at Sea Alum, gave a presentation tonight that blew me away. He gave an in-depth description of his experience of Semester at Sea, and how it changed the entirety of his life. Please Google him, and his non-profit that he started; Pencils of Promise. I am determined to bring this to Marietta, and try to raise funds for it. Overall, he basically builds schools in developing countries. It would be amazing if Marietta could sponsor an entire school to be built in one of these countries. I would love to be able to be part of something this phenomenal, and life-changing. (KATIE ANDERSON; I vote we take this project on in the spring for Circle K!! P.S. I miss you!!) 

 

 He had really good advice as well, pertaining to traveling and just life in general. I still don’t necessarily know what I want to do with my life, but I want to find something that I will be passionate about from here on in. If I don’t discover what I truly want to do by the end of graduation, I would love to get an internship with Pencils of Promise.

 

Some of Adam’s lasting messages that I loved were:

You can sleep when you are dead.

Make the best of Semester at Sea’ it’s not often that you have the opportunity to travel the world.

 

 

(He is also a seasoned backpacker, and I now want to backpack somewhere next summer) J

 

On a smaller note, after his presentation, I played Uno and BS with Jena, Eric, Brian, and two new friends we met; Kelsey and Michael.

 

Gah, I am honestly having the time of my life on this ship, and around the world right now. I want it to last forever.

 

(But I still miss all who are reading this J)

 

Much love from me in waters around the African coast to all of you!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment