Thursday, September 8, 2011

September 7, 2011

 

Today we had a day full of classes; except all we really did in each class was talk about our adventures of Morocco. After class, I went to the Wellness Center and worked out for a little bit. Then, Jena and I met up on one of the more quiet, side decks to tan in our bathing suits and do some homework. Ah, the hard life of living on a cruise ship :P We had dinner with Gary and Brian, who are quickly becoming our best friends on the ship. Brian is from Texas and goes to Texas A&M, and Gary is going to Washington University in St. Louis. After dinner, we headed to the Union to hear the Explorer Seminar, “Slave Trade in Ghana; Architectural History.” It was a captivating seminar led by Professor Wilson, who is an Architectural History professor at the University of Virginia. One of the pictures he showed was the layout of a ship, which had “The best way to organize slaves on a slave ship in order to maximize space.” It was revolting to see how packed the people were placed, as if they were simply transporting cargo. After the seminar, there was a port reflection of Morocco, in which everyone could simply come up and share their stories and pictures. After the reflection, I went and grabbed a huge packet of customs forms that are needed for the rest of the countries we will be going to. Jena, Brian, Gary, Eric, and I went and signed up for intramurals as well. I am playing intramural corn hole, volleyball, basketball, and washers. So pumped! I suggested Ultimate Frisbee, but there is not much space at all, so I’m not sure how fun it would be. (Love to all my fellow MUFFers!!) After we signed up for intramurals, it was “snack time!” We have snack time every night, which everyone gets so excited for; even if it is only all the old leftover desserts and sandwiches from that day and the day before. I had a piece of angel food cake; heavenly. Then, we headed to Jena and I’s room to all fill out our massive packet of forms. I am sure all of you can recall those dreaded proficiency tests where you had to fill in so many bubbles and by the end of it, you were entirely drained. If you were from Ohio, we had the detested OGT’s. Ugh. Think of this feeling, and then extrapolate it by about 1,000. Pure torture. We didn’t finish all of the forms until about midnight. After, we just sat around and talked about our upcoming countries and what we were all planning on doing. Next is Ghana, and I have nothing yet planned. I am hoping to do a service site such as an orphanage or school. There is also a water village that sounds really interesting that I am thinking about doing. I guess only time will tell.. Tomorrow, we have a surprise stop in the Canary Islands to refuel. We aren’t able to get off the ship, but I am so ready to tan outside and take pictures J I have class until noon, and then will be laying outside all day. Until tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment