Thursday, September 22, 2011

September 22, 2011

 

These past few days have been littered with mixed emotions. The ocean has been the roughest yet; the entire boat has been rocking and it almost seems as if we are experiencing earthquakes, not ocean waves. It makes for an interesting time when I am in the fitness center. Running on the elliptical today, I felt as if I was attempting to work out while drunk. Walking down the halls, you can see everyone swerving and smashing into the walls. It is strange not being able to have control of your own body, but by now, it is even stranger when we are on land. I find that it is now easier to sleep when the boat is rocking, and have difficulty nodding off when we are docked in port.

  It feels as if we just left Ghana yesterday, but this time tomorrow, I will be climbing Lion’s Head and enjoying a picnic hike, bathed in the South African sunset. We had our cultural pre-port yesterday, and were given advice and directions on what to do and what not to do. The pre-port made me a little uneasy; we learned that South Africa has the highest homicide rate in the world. Despite everything though, I am still beyond excited to experience this country that has already went through so much turmoil. We learned a great deal about apartheid and Nelson Mandela, and HIV/AIDS. It is strange to hear the Afrikaans language as well, as it is a mix of English and Dutch.

As for apartheid, we learned about all the segregations that occurred, just as in the United States during our segregation. Hearing about how South Africa still has many settlements that are for the “black” people, I was sympathetic, and yet proud that America seems to have come so far in combating segregation. However, just today I read a news article that was beyond disturbing. The title was, “White supremacist executed for Texas dragging”. Here I thought that the USA had made so much progress compared to South Africa, and yet the same things are still occurring. Will racism ever stop? What has to happen for such ignorant actions to halt? It makes me so angry; I feel so helpless. I understand that the world isn’t perfect, but why can’t things just get better? Traveling certainly illuminates perspectives on topics that many don’t like to talk about. Despite all that though, I still have felt a renewed sense of pride for the United States. In both Ghana and Morocco, more than a handful of people were always saying that they loved the USA, that it was a great country, and they loved Obama. No country will ever be perfect, but I am truly proud to be an American. Every country song that I love so much seems to have an even better tune to it now; small town USA is truly a great place to live.

 

Later on today will consist of a program board meeting, the logistical pre-port meeting, yoga, and a “sea” meeting. Can’t wait to write about all my South African adventures!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment