In less than 9 hours we will be in Morocco! In lieu of this, I am lying on my bed, watching Casablanca, as I write this. You can sense the heightened anticipation all around the ship; the nervousness, the excitement. It is almost as if Christmas has come early. We had a lot of business to attend to as well though. Today was filled with meetings galore. I had Global English and Global Public Health today, and then Jena and I went to the Wellness Center. We ran on the elliptical, and then stretched out on the deck for a while; basking in the sunshine. After dinner, we had an Arabic language seminar where we learned some basic phrases. I felt well-informed already thanks to all the Saudis J Shukron jazeelan! Right after the language meeting, we had a pre-port logistical meeting in which we talked about what to wear, what not to buy, where to go, etc. etc. We were advised not to approach anything that looks like a political demonstration, especially since Morocco is going through some political changes right now. The people of Morocco feel that King Mohammed VI should have less power, or just be completely abolished altogether. So, all in all, we were advised that any political shenanigans might get violent, or we could possibly be arrested. I don’t think my friends or family would be too happy if I didn’t return home in December, and was released from prison years later.. On the bright side, we are going to witness history in the making as Morocco strives for political reform. After our business meeting, I had a meeting with a few others about being a Student Ambassador, as well as a Global Ambassador. I am going to be a Student Ambassador in which I will be able to meet diplomats from all the countries, and escort them around the ship during the time they are with us. I will also be able to escort students from other countries that board the ship in each country, and play host to them. The first student that I will be meeting is a boy named George, and he is a college student from Ghana. I will be meeting him at the Moroccan airport, and bring him back to the ship, where he will be traveling to Ghana with us. I may have the chance to meet Desmond Tutu in South Africa as well! If you are not aware of who this man is, please take some time to research just a little bit about him. As a Global Ambassador, I will be able to still remain connected with Semester at Sea, spreading the word of this amazing opportunity to others at my college through study abroad fairs and the like. Tomorrow, I am going to the Hassan II Mosque, and then exploring Casablanca. Well, that’s all for tonight, since I will be waking up at 5:00 am to see the sunset and perhaps catch the first glimpse of the shores of Casablanca.
My life of travels.. Fall Voyage 2011 Semester at Sea: Traveling around the world in a little over 100 days. Within this blog will be trials, triumps, and adventure to last a lifetime :)
Friday, September 2, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment