Wednesday, September 28, 2011

September 25, 2011

I hope throughout your life you have those days where you can look back, and revel in the fact that everything was perfect. Even of you only have a handful of those days, savor every moment. I’m not talking about those days where you win the lottery or get married; nothing really momentous or life-altering. I’m talking about those days where you can bask in the sweet simplicity of happiness; new friendships, delectable food, the beauty of nature, and the warmth of small towns. I firmly believe that true happiness isn’t complicated at all. Too many muddle their lives with so much chaos, drama, and technology that they can’t seem to find a way to enjoy the singular fact of living, of just being a person enjoying life with other people. As I look back on today, I will remember for many years to come, that on this day, I experienced true happiness. It is as if the world was plotting; every facet of this day culminated together to give me something to hang on to. A wise woman, my grandma, always says that all you really have left when all is said and done are memories. This may sound somewhat sad, but if you make memories centered on pure bliss and happiness, they will carry you for a lifetime.

 I woke up today not really expecting anything out of the ordinary. I had breakfast with Jena and Gary outside on Deck 7 and then came back to my cabin to take a nap. Brian called me around 9 and we decided to meet at 9:30 to figure out our day. We ended up meeting with Martha from Kentucky and Chelsea from Arizona as well, and we decided to go to Simon’s Town. We walked to the train station and took a train to Simon’s Town. The view along the way was absolutely stunning. I have never seen such incomparable beauty. Rusty orange and brown boulders were scattered along the beach, while foamy, brilliant blue-green waves washed over them. Dark green kelp was tossed throughout the water, moving in rhythm with the waves, almost as if waving in welcome. As we wound our way along the southern most parts of Africa, mountains hovered in the distance; majestic and proud. As we dismounted the train, I immediately was overwhelmed with the sense of love at first sight. We walked deeper into the town, and something resonated within my heart. There was something, some sort of aura or perhaps it was just the charismatic small town charm that seemed to call out to me. For some reason, I know that I am going to go back there. On the waterfront, we came to a school band play8ing the song, “Only fools rush in, but I can’t help, falling in love with you.” The band was part of a huge festival that was being held in honor of South Africa’s national holiday, Heritage Day. There were booths of traditional Africa masks, paintings, fabric, and an assortment of so many other things. We decided on a small cafĂ©/restaurant overlooking the glistening ocean. I ordered a huge baked potato that was filled with creamy chicken and mushrooms. Both Chelsea and Martha chose a spicy Cape Malay pancake, while Brian got the catch of the day; Kingklip with calamari. We all sampled each other’s food, which was absolutely amazing. I have NO IDEA how I am going to eat in the US again. My creamy mushroom chicken potato was an experience to die for. After lunch, we browsed in some of the shops, and stopped to talk to all of the shopkeepers. We saw a huge sign that read, “ART,” so we decided to investigate. The art exhibit was in a hall next to the town’s library, and boasted brilliant paintings of African animals, beaches and the ocean, as well as handmade jewelry. We met a native South African who was a 74 year old retired man, who now spends his time sailing around the world with his wife. We told him about our journeys, and then he gave us directions to Boulder Beach. Boulder Beach is known for its protective penguin colony, so I was beyond excited. We walked along the ocean-side, marveling at the smooth, white-washed houses along the steep inclined streets, and leading up to a small mountain. Palm trees and tropical flowers dotted the entire avenue, and the ocean breeze was intoxicating us with adventure and peacefulness. We arrived at Boulder Beach, which emanated with a strong sense of natural beauty and pride. Massive, sand-colored boulders lined the waterfront as ocean waves crashed onto the shore. We strolled along the boardwalk as a peaceful silence washed over us, allowing us to absorb the beauty in awe. On either side of the boardwalk was a small fence that housed the penguins. All along the walkway penguins were sleeping or sun-bathing, or playfully fighting. In the water, sailboats and kayaks frolicked in the waves, and people were sprawled out on both beach and boulder. We slowly made our way back to the entrance, and met up with Jena.

We decided to head back north to Cape Town. We walked back to the train station, and bought 3rd class train tickets to save some money. The train was leaving in one minute, so we had to sprint to get there on time. The car we chose was virtually empty, and I was somewhat relieved since I hadn’t heard very good things about 3rd class. The next stop, however, quickly changed the situation. A flood of people stormed into our car, and there was barely room to breathe. A homeless man was still somehow managing to strut up and down, yelling proclamations in an unrecognizable African language. By the looks we were getting from all the other passengers, we were guessing he was yelling about us. We were among the few white people on the train. He then proceeded to ask if anyone had a lighter, and started smoking marijuana. Women carrying babies became outraged, and started yelling at the man. Next to the homeless man was another man loaded down with 3 old, rusty bicycles and lawn decorations. The next stop came, and a HUGE riot broke out! People were pushing and shoving to get both on and off the train. People were being slammed into the rusty bicycles, crying out in pain. Children were crying and people were screaming with immense ferocity. Finally, the riot seemed to quiet, and the train doors slid shut. However, our uneasiness and apprehension didn’t seem to quiet. Everyone directed their hostility at the man with the bicycles, exclaiming that he was in the way and needed to move, or that he would be thrown off the train. Finally, he moved to the other end of the car, out of the way of the entrance/exit. The man was gone and the riot was over, but anxiety and concern was still written on all of our faces. Sitting next to me was a friendly looking girl who tried to soothe our nerves. We struck up a conversation, and she turned out to be an enthusiastic HIV/AIDS activist. It was moving listening to some of her stories. She then got off, and was replaced with a man who started giving me lessons in !Khosa, a click language. By the time we got to Cape Town, he and many others were roaring with laughter at my valiant failures of attempting to produce the foreign clicks. His name was Numa, and he told me one day I would return to South Africa and be able to speak !Khosa. After the train station, we walked back towards the port and grabbed a taxi to Camps Bay, an amazing beach. We ran into the freezing water and sat in the sand watching the sunset. We walked across the street to a pizzeria called Cal Cacchio. We tried bacon and banana pizza!! As well as pizza with spinach, feta, and roasted peppers, and another pizza with caramelized onions and sundried tomatoes. The bacon and banana pizza was the BEST I have ever had. It sounds so strange, but it was a delicious combination. After dinner, we walked further down the oceanfront and found an ice cream place called Sinnful, and it was sinful indeed. I had a scoop of toffee fudge and wild blueberries and cream. Absolutely heavenly J We then took a taxi back to the ship, and Jena and I showered and got dressed to go out to Mitchell’s, a brewery down the road from the ship. We met up with Eric, Brian, and Gary in Brian’s room and headed out. We spent a few hours there just enjoying everyone’s company, since Mitchell’s was packed with Semester at Sea students. Around midnight, I headed back to the ship with Eric. This was honestly one of the most memorable, enjoyable days of my life. I am having the most amazing time, and couldn’t be more thankful to the people who have made this voyage a possibility for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment