November 24, 2011
Thanksgiving Day
Hilo, Hawai’i
Today was like any other normal Thanksgiving except for the fact that:
A. I was in Hawai’i
B. Instead of being surrounded by snow and brisk winter winds, I was surrounded with palm trees and sunshine
It was similar in the sense that I was surrounded by delicious food and warm, loving people. I spent the day with Kyla and Wiliama’s family, alongside Lizzy, Nikki Souza, and Val Brown. After only a few hours of sleep from last night, I began the day at 6:30 in the morning on Deck 7 for the sunrise. The sun was actually visible, which is a relief in itself compared to the last few ports which have been abysmally disappointing. After the sunrise, I breakfasted with Kyla, Wiliama, Eva, and eventually Lizzy. (She likes to take her sweet old southern time). We all parted after eating, and planned to meet up later when Kyla and Wiliama’s family arrived on the ship. After getting dressed and what not, I found Lizzy who informed me that Kyla and Wiliama’s family had just gotten on the ship. We gave Kyla’s family, which consisted of her mom, dad, brother, and grandparents a tour of the ship. You can tell exactly where Kyla gets her witty humor from by listening to any and all of her family members speak. Wiliama’s family joined us in Tymitz Square and we headed out into the Hawaiian sunlight.
Lizzy and I rode in a van with all of Kyla’s family to Community of Christ Church, where we would be eating. There was a separate house that sat alongside the church which is where we set up shop. As cars and vans were unloaded, the tables began to groan in protest at the amounts of food that were weighing them down. Before we ate, we nibbled on mana pua and nachos smothered in crab dip. Mana pua was sold throughout most of Asia in a lot of the Family Marts, Seven Elevens, and simple convenience stores. Kyla raved about mana pua, and insisted that we had to try it when we got to Hilo, and try it we did. It is something like a super doughy roll stuffed with meat, and it was pure heaven.
Before we ate, I played with Wiliama’s brother and sister; Kalanikapu and Ku`ulei. We played Hangman, each trading off on who was picking the words. However, I was often Kalanikapu’s assistant since he kept coming over to me and whispering how to spell one word or another. They were both absolutely adorable J
For dinner, my plate was loaded with turkey, ham, sweet potatoes, Christmas jello, green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, and I think that was all?.. Haha. For dessert was some type of Oreo cake. Mmmmm. After dinner, we gossiped about our voyage and answered questions about anything and everything. Wiliama’s Aunt Trudy gave us a 5 minute informational recap of the history of Hilo which was so interesting. I love the fact that Hawaii has so much culture embedded within it; I can truly see myself going to grad school here. I had been half-serious in contemplating Hawai’i as an option, but now I am almost 100% serious. Amazing people, great weather year-round, what’s not to like?
After our episode of gluttonous feasting, we piled into the cars and headed to Big Island Candies which was just down the street. We were immediately greeted with a sample of shortbread as well as some sort of chocolate with nuts. Samples were placed out everywhere, and despite the fact that I was feeling full to last me about a week, I tried many different chocolates and cookies. Live for the moment right? ;) One of the most interesting was a lavender cookie, which was somewhat like chewing on a tasty potpourri snack. Leaving Big Island Candies, we decided to fill our need for American exposure, and no we didn’t go to McDonald’s. We pulled into the parking lot of Wal-Mart, and I was filled with immediate happiness and a sense of home. Wal-Mart is heaven on earth. When I got my hair done in the salon on the ship, my hairdresser who hails from South Africa, said that every time the ship lands in the States all the foreigners head to Wal-Mart. I do not blame them whatsoever, and will never again take this lovely place for granted. We shopped around for about an hour, and most of everyone filled their carts with groceries. The ship food, although sometimes bearable, doesn’t compare to the wonders that Wal-Mart holds. We also did some souvenir shopping, which seemed sort of odd shopping for souvenirs in Wal-Mart, but hey, when in Rome right?
Unfortunately, the day had already flown by at this point. Wal-Mart concluded our day, and we headed back to the ship with heavy hearts, stomachs, and a heavy trunk full of Wal-Mart goodies. One day in Hawai’i is not NEARLY enough time. Rain was coming down as we walked up to the ship and said good-bye to Hawai’i; no need to be sad though, I have a feeling I will be back in just a short time J
No comments:
Post a Comment